There is currently 3-6 inches of snow on the ground at Chief Joseph Pass. Not enough to ski, unless you really don’t like your skis. There are also mud puddles under the snow in many places. We need another 1-2 feet of snow before we can start grooming, but as soon as that happens our volunteer snowmobile grooming crew will start getting the snow packed down in preparation for snowcat grooming starting sometime in December.
Last night’s wind storm brought down a decent number of trees, I cleared a few trails today, but there are probably still a bunch down. If you see any downed trees please let us know so we can get them cleared.
Please join us to help get the ski trails at Chief Joseph Pass ready to go for ski season. We will be having 2 work days, Saturday October 30, and Saturday November 6. We will meet at 9 am at the Chief Joseph Pass parking lot, then split into groups to work on several different projects. We will likely be working until 4:00 pm, but will have opportunities for people who would like to stay for half the day. Bring lunch, water, warm clothing and work gloves. If you have a pruning saw or loppers feel free to bring them, but we will also supply tools.
Bitterroot Cross Country Ski Club is participating in a fundraiser for Non-Profits in the Bitterroot Valley (Missoula Gives/Bitterroot Gives). Join us and help us raise enough money for the Equipment Trailer we need to replace. We will need $12,000.
Starts May 6th at 5pm and goes all day May 7th until 8pm.
Help us Spread the Word–share with friends on Facebook, Instagram, e-mail.
Grooming is done for the year at Chief Joseph Pass, but there is still plenty of snow and the trails are still in great shape for skate or classic skiing. The cabin is still open for day use until the 15th.
Our grooming crew planned on grooming at Como this morning, but it was pouring rain, so grooming was canceled. Most likely there will not be any more grooming at Como this season.
Earlier in the week the skiing was still good, and it will probably be good conditions this weekend for touring skis. The higher elevation trails should hold snow for a few more weeks, but you might have to do some walking to get to it.
Conditions at Como held up well over the weekend, despite the warm temperatures, and there should be good skiing for at least the next few days. Best skiing will probably be between 10 and 2, or after sunset.